The Pontifical University of John Paul II in Cracow, together with the centre for philosophical research operating as part thereof, can be traced back to the Faculty of Theology at the Jagiellonian University, founded in 1397. Currently, the Faculty comprises 13 departments engaging in research and teaching activity that relates to the best traditions of Christian philosophy, while being responsive to the present-day social and scientific challenges. More about history of the Faculty here
Description of Studies
The doctoral study programme is based on the provisions of the Higher Education Act and detailed directives of the Minister of Science and Higher Education (legal acts available in Polish).
The purpose of doctoral studies is to acquire competence of a university teacher and to prepare the student to do independent research work (a doctoral dissertation).
The studies last 4 years, but it is possible to complete them earlier if you defend your doctoral dissertation earlier. Every doctoral student’s work is supervised by a designated research supervisor (and once the doctoral registration and conferment procedure has been instituted – a dissertation supervisor). The studies include mandatory and optional classes, as well as running (co-running) of classes.
At the end of each year, the doctoral student submits a written report on their research and teaching work (endorsed by the research or dissertation supervisor). In the course of study an annual assessment procedure is in force.
In the course of study, the doctoral student is obliged to independently prepare and defend the doctoral dissertation. For this purpose the doctoral registration and conferment procedure is instituted.
Foreign students must pay tuition fees, which are at the Pontifical University of John Paul II (academic year 2017/2018) 1650 zł (PLN) per semester (i.e. 3300 zł per year).
Library: the main library is located in a new building in Bobrzyńskiego Street. It offers access to textbooks, teaching materials, journals as well as electronic resources, databases and catalogues.
Computer library catalogue: [link: https://chamo.bj.uj.edu.pl/upjp2/search/query?locale=en]
Language training: at the Centre of Languages (1 Franciszkańska Street). Courses of Polish as a foreign language, English, German, French, Spanish, and Russian.
- A complete set of documents must be submitted by 19 September 2017 at the Secretariat of the Faculty of Philosophy during office hours.
- The application interviews shall be held on 21 September 2017.
- The list of the candidates qualified to be admitted to the studies shall be announced on 22 September 2017 at the latest.
- Registrations for the studies will be possible until 2 October 2017.
- A complete set of documents must be submitted by 3 October 2017 at the Secretariat of the Faculty of Philosophy during office hours.
- The application interviews shall be held on 5 October 2017.
- The list of the candidates qualified to be admitted to the studies shall be announced on 6 October 2017 at the latest.
- Registrations for the studies will be possible until 6 October 2017.
For more details see files below: